Katerra is currently seeking a Construction Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) Lead for their Southern California Region to join our team to support our growing business, ensure the safety and health of our employees, protect the environment, and to support our mission. The Construction HSE Lead is responsible for developing and implementing construction safety programs, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, standards and requirements, implementing key performance indicators (KPIs), as well as verifying and validating that HSE programs are being effectively implemented across the construction organization. The Construction HSE Lead is expected to establish and promote a proactive safety environment and culture by setting the example, providing proactive coaching/mentoring, and helping our construction organization achieve HSE success. The Construction HSE Lead will report to the Katerra Construction General Superintendent, and will receive work direction and be held accountable by the Construction General Superintendent and HSE Manager. The Construction HSE Lead will partner regularly with the HSE Manager and HSE Team to ensure development of quality HSE products and HSE implementation excellence across Katerra.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures the safety and well-being of all employees and visitors.
- Leads by example.
- Establishes a proactive safety environment and culture
Program Development, Implementation & Verification
- Develops documents, programs, systems, procedures, and tools needed to execute HSE efficiently and effectively throughout the construction organization.
- Verifies and validates HSE program effectiveness, improves as needed.
- Regularly evaluates existing documentation, tests implementation effectiveness, update as improvement opportunities are identified.
- Proactively assists the construction organization with implementation of HSE regulations, standards, and expectations. Ensures HSE programs and initiatives align and integrate with construction operations.
- Helps develop and drive solution resolution of HSE activities and improvement opportunities.
- Evaluates program implementation to drive improvements that reduce injury and costs.
- Captures data from construction organization to perform analysis, trending, stewardship, including identification of root causes and action items; ensures items are driven to closure in a timely fashion.
- Develops presentations and communications that can work at all levels of the organization.
- Evaluates existing training programs.
- Develops, organizes, and executes training, as needed.
- Works with the various job sites by providing proactive support and implementing solutions
- Works collaboratively with existing team members, and supports all aspects of Katerra HSE, as needed.
- Assists Risk Management Group, as needed (e.g., medical claims).
- Represents construction to external regulatory agencies (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Department of Transportation).
- Spends quality time at the job sites.
- Expect to travel ~50% of the time. This percentage may shift as sites become more established and/or more jobs come online.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, such as safety, environmental, industrial hygiene, fire protection, science, or engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.•
- 7 – 10 years of construction HSE experience, required.
- Experience working with government regulators and a thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local government HSE regulations (e.g., OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, EPA, DOT).•
- Extensive experience working with Cal OSHA, required.
- Experience implementing HSE management systems and behavior based programs.
- Ability to influence others to perform their jobs safely and create a culture of safety.•
- Strong analytical skills including systematic root cause and risk analysis methodologies.•
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritization, follow-up, and closure skills.
- Strong leadership skills, including effective verbal and written communication.•
- Experience developing, coordinating, and/or delivering training programs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software programs.
Preferred Skills & Experience
Professional HSE designation (e.g., ASP, CSP) preferred.
Apply for this position at the following at this link.